Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Ruined"


“Ruined” was the first William and Mary play that I’ve seen and I must say it was incredible. At first when the music began, I didn’t exactly know what to expect. A quick statement about the music performers, I didn’t expect them to perform practically the whole show. It added substance to the show and helped direct the mood of the audience and set a pace for the actors.
The show itself was filled of emotions beyond belief. The actors and script captured the epitome of each emotion and feeling with so much depth that during the monologue where the girl talked of her moment of being ruined, the whole audience was not silent, but still. You could feel the pain and see it in each person’s eye. The story line was full of passion and conflict which in my opinion connected in a way that created something I like to call true art.
The casting was primarily African-Americans. There were only two Caucasians out of the whole performances. The setting was Congo, so it was fitting for the cast to be mainly African-Americans so there wouldn’t be any backlash for not being politically correct. I personally would have been okay with the actors being Caucasian if they were more talented. The way the casting was, it allowed me to be more focused on the play.
 
If I could summarize what “Ruined” meant to me, I would say that it was an event to top all events. It was western theatre, but it touched African issues in a more dynamic way, at least in my opinion. I would strongly suggest this play to anyone. You never know what you can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment