Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Doesn't Matter


To compare grades and education, I believe you need to have an understanding of what each term means. To me, grades are a number or letter that represents an evaluation of your efforts in a course. Education to me is increasing knowledge about topics that individuals are ignorant to. I feel that our education system here at William and Mary is focused around grades versus education. This is the similar view that we discussed in class.

So here at William and Mary the students have all come to compete against each other and are all used to winning. This has increased the competition and students lose sight of the actual value of an education and begin their focus on grades. You can focus on grades by memorizing a term and getting the right answer on a test.  However, you might have been missing out deeper meaning of the information and the related stories on it which could help you more in the future.

Right before the midterm, Guru and we as a class went over the materials that would be on the test. It was oral and written based where students answered questions Guru asked. At the end, he emphasized that this review was more like a test because while we ask and answer each other's questions, interacting with other students and studying together, we absorb more information and apply those terms in practice. He made sure that we felt comfortable taking midterm and tried to give relieve pressure during this stressful period of time. As we felt relaxed, I think we did better on the test because we cared about knowledge, not the grade as Guru stressed. People seemed to enjoy taking the midterm, and had smiles on their faces after it. I was very thankful to Guru because I am one of the type of people who get very stressed out over grades and he helped me release that burden off of my shoulders for the test. As I was confident with the materials, I did not have to worry about getting a good grade. It just naturally came to me. I remember the lesson that we learned in class and continue to apply it with the rest of my academics at W&M.

No comments:

Post a Comment