Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Final Thoughts


            And so, here it is, my last blog for this class. There is so much to say and not much to say all at the say time. I feel like I have said most of it, through my other blogs and my time spent in class. I took this class because I wanted to, having taken Southeast Asian Folklore Performance last semester. Through this class, I was able to expand my knowledge of Asian theater forms even further through lecture and practice. Basically, this semester I learned a lot, and connected me to a part of theater that I had never been able to see before. As a planned Asian and Middle Eastern Studies major focusing on East Asia I was absolutely mesmerized by Noh and Kabuki Theater. Never before have I seen such expressive dancing. Though I have to admit that the Noh masks absolutely terrify me, especially the one with painted lips and a blank stare, they are ridiculously beautiful when used. The Kabuki play we watched was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, the one where the crane was mourning the lost love of a past life. I really wish we had been able to finish it. Still, that is for another day and another time.
            I would really just like to thank Guru and Professor Palmer for being such wonderful teachers. I would like to thank the class for putting up with my dancing antics, and for being so open and sharing not only their dances but their thoughts and feelings. I hope to see you all again sometime in the future!
            Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment