Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Course Reflection


At first, I was a bit skeptical taking this course, thinking that I knew about Asian theatre and culture. Then after a few weeks I began to notice something. I began to see a deeper meaning to what I thought I already knew. I saw not what, but why things were the way they were in different parts of Asia. I have spent so many years in Asia and have never been exposed to Asian theatre to the degree of this course.
As I spoke about in class, I never discussed Asian theatre while in school in Korea. I only knew the existence of western theatre and was unacquainted with the concept of a play. I thought that Asian theatre was a dress up and just talk, similar to western theatre. It was through this course that I discovered that there was not only a different style to Asian theatre, but a completely different type of culture to it entirely. This was something that I thought was impossible and never understood it, even after the first few classes. It took a while for me to actually grasp the concepts and ideas that the “Guru” was speaking to us about. It took a little while for me to catch on, but I am elated that I was finally able to do so.

I would say that not everyone will have the ability to have an eye opening experiencing such as the one that I am speaking of, but I believe that this course is invaluable. It’s something that should be taken by individuals that can approach the course with an open mind and want to see a part of theatre that isn’t lost, but has been turned away from because of the modernization of theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment