Friday, May 4, 2012

Final Performance Sharing Recap: Bonding Between the Banjar

The option: sing or dance, solo, in front of the entire class.  The outcome: an intense hour of banjar bonding.

I've got to admit, the final day of class was slightly nerve-racking.  Having arrived to class three minutes late, I thought it would be a good idea to volunteer to go first to make up for my partial-dishonor.  I think I made a good choice, but I have to admit I was kind of afraid.  Performing alone in front of the entire banjar was definitely sobering, but after it was over I realized it was equally rewarding.  Outside of the slight lining of sweat on the back of my neck by the time my dance was over, I think I made it through the dance unscathed.  And then the stressful and meaningful portion of the day came- watching my friends perform.

As scary as performing first might have been, watching the rest of the banjar perform was much worse.  Throughout the course of their performances, I continued to dwell on only one thought: "I hope they do well."  This was especially true during the individual song performances.  I was very afraid that at any time they might mess up a word or two and be thrown off.  However, I felt as though the whole class was comforted through Guru's advice- "It's about the Chi, not the words."

Because the singers understood what Guru meant, I feel like the songs went by very smoothly.  (I didn't mind dancing in front of everyone at all, but I chose dancing as opposed to singing for a reason...)  I was really surprised and impressed by the banjar for the caliber of their performances.  Like Abigail mentioned in her blog, I recall staring directly at the singers- wishing them with every fiber of my being to succeed.

And they did succeed.  Everyone came through with great performances, dancers and singers alike.  And I feel like our banjar truly came together during the course of the hour.  Throughout the course of this semester we've learned to share our feelings, opinions, and thoughts.  But more so than ever, on the final day of class we learned to share our Chi, our enthusiasm, and our wishes for the collective success of our friends.

This culminated in our deep discussion prior to the end of class.  We talked about the different types of knowledge we were taking away from the class, but ultimately the we were united united in our appreciation for the opportunities that we shared throughout the semester.  And in the end, during our final "Om" to Dr. Palmer, I believe we shared a moment that I'll take along with me throughout the rest of my college career and hopefully the rest of my life.  We were one community, one banjar... One Tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment