Wednesday, May 9, 2012

On Death


Out of all the classes that this semester had to share, the one that has imprinted itself onto my memory is the class in which Guru informed us about a death of a fellow member of the Tribe.  I had already known this since the dorm of the freshman was neighbors with my dorm.  My first reaction to this was one of astonishment.  I could not believe that this had actually happened.  The first thought that ran through my mind was “Didn’t anyone see signs and why didn’t any one help” also, “how helpless and alone must the student have felt?”

As I went through all my classes of the day, I finally got to my last class which was Asian Theatre.  Guru took the time to set aside class time to discuss what had happened.  This was very new to me seeing as how every other class I had continued like nothing had happened.  As we discussed the different traditions that follow a death, I felt as though our banjar had reached the next level.  We were finally able to talk freely without worry that someone might judge another.  As the class continued the discussion and shared personal stories, I was amazed and proud of our class.  We had just practiced the  one of the most important lessons the class had taught us which was the importance of communication and the theme of orality.  Our open discussion helped us make some sense of what had happened. 

We have come so far since the first class.  I hope that each and everyone of us will be able to find a community as special as this one was during the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment