Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Opinion of This Class


Overall, I enjoyed taking this class this year.  The material was interesting, new, and diverse.  We were able to cover so many different areas of Asia and take an in-depth look into the theater practices of each.  One aspect of the course that was really nice was being able to split up time between learning about the different theaters of Asia and actually performing some of the types of dances/theater styles.  I feel like this was really beneficial to my learning.  It made it so I could study the theater form, watch videos of others performing it, then actually do it myself.  This gave me a clear and complete picture of each of the different styles we learned about. 

I also really liked the format of grading/testing for the class.  There were several ways to show what you had learned.  I think this is beneficial because it allows people several outlets to showcase their knowledge.  You could show what you have learned through writing/the blogs, through an actual test, or through performance of what we had studied. 

The material of this class was surprisingly very interesting and diverse.  I have never been a theater person but I was able to appreciate the different performances of the different regions of Asia.  This class allowed me to really expand my knowledge base and learn more about areas of study that I knew nothing about.  It was nice to take a class on this very unique subject that most people will never get the chance to hear about. 

My only criticisms of the class are the duration/timing of it.  Since this class is almost two hours long, I occasionally had those days where it was hard to focus on the material for such a long period of time.  It just occasionally felt overwhelming to go over so much information in one day.  I also feel like the time of the class was not evenly split between lectures and dancing.  I would have liked to see a more even split between the two but I understand it is hard due to the quantity of the material.  Still, I am really glad I took this class and would definitely recommend it to others (it is also a great way to obtain two GERs).         

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Alyssa. We will keep your suggestions and see how we can incorporate them to improve the class.

    ReplyDelete