Tuesday, April 24, 2012

different me with masks


Performances using masks are prominent in Asian theatre. So far, we touched upon three different types of masks' performances from Indonesia, China and Japan. Even though they were categorized into one genre in theatre, they were all unique and distinct to each other. Topeng dance is a typical form of mask dance performed in Indonesia. It usually represents nature or appearance of gods and usually covers most of the performers' faces. Chinese masks are considered as carriers of wishes and it can often be found to have no bottom half and a colorful upper half so that performers can talk while performing. Lots of them look as if they were generals fighting against bad demons or disasters. With a background of being built to protect people from negative things, masks were loafed that it makes the performers look very tall and authoritative. Finally, Japanese masks are very sophisticated and have movable jaws so performers can talk during the play. Despite the differences of each masks, I realized that one common aspect of masks was that when people wear the masks, they become the characters they play. Their identity changes into what the mask is meant to depict. They put all of their focus on the role and try to portray what it is they believe they are meant to be with appropriate characteristics. Also, it is an easy way to cover yourself and be someone else, which allows you to feel less embarrassed and feel more confident to act certain way. It helps create true characters of the play. I wore a money mask during my “mid-term sharing” and with it, I could perform with great confidence and become a monkey as I viewed monkeys would behave. After increasing my focus on my role as a monkey, I felt the audience become more engaged, thus feeding off of their enjoyment, I became more energetic which allowed me become more enthusiastic throughout the play. Through this experience, I learned how important your spirit should be involved in the play when you act and how the masks help you build that spirit in your mind and body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment