Sunday, April 15, 2012

Disappearance Tuesday Performance

      On Tuesday night I went to go see the play Disappearance.  From going to the auditions, I had a little bit of knowledge of what the play was about, as far as the storyline.  When I heard the play was going to mix Noh and the Western theatre, I could not picture in my head how that would look - but I am all for surprises :) haha
      I thought the play incorporated Noh and Western theatre really well, especially the transition into the four posts was very well put together.  At first, it looked liked the characters were picking up presents and placing them under the tree but it turned out to symbolize the four posts.  Every single character stayed in the confined space and never went past the posts, unless they were entering/leaving the room.   When the characters would move, most would move in a square - following the patterns of the post.  Other aspects I saw was the jutai (the chorus) and the fact that they would take off their shoes before entering the room.  In the beginning of the play Abhay's character would bow in front of the Jutai's leader.  I also noticed the "YOP" sound every time something happened. For instance, when Nehamkin turned on the faucet, the switch, the stove or when someone would hit someone else on the head, the YOP-ing sound would be made.
      I think the different languages was a nice touch to the play because firstly, it made the storyline really funny.  When Swanlake would suddenly lash out in french and people wouldn't understand, it made it quite hilarious.  When the narration would be in a language other than english, it really made it feel like you were watching a show in another country (Of course, there will be a translation after). Because I am posting this after all the performance times: I hope everyone in the class got a chance to see the play!

No comments:

Post a Comment