Monday, April 23, 2012

My Experiences with Theatre: Then and Now

       Before taking this class, I had very little experience with theater.  I had been in a few school plays in elementary school and took a semester long drama class when I was in middle school.  However, this was the only personal theater experience I possessed (so almost none).  I did have some experience indirectly with theater though.  In high school, I went to several of my school's plays.  I saw shows like The Crucible, Guys and Dolls, and You Can't Take It with You.  I also was able to see a Broadway play while on a trip to New York.  It was The Lion King and it was very well done so I really enjoyed watching it.

       After taking this class I definitely have a lot more personal experience with theater.  I was also exposed to a type of theater I had never before encountered.  The midterm performance sharing was the first time I have ever sung and danced for a group of people.  This class taught me many different movements and practices of theater from all over Asia.  Now I have practice with the theater styles of all of these different cultures.  I also gained some more indirect experience with theater through this class.  Along with all of the videos we watched throughout the semester, I was able to see my first live Noh play (a modern Noh play) by going to watch Disappearance.  This class has really broadened my theater background and expanded my knowledge in this area.  I can now say that I have performed for others, learned new dance forms, and understand a wide variety of theater styles.   

        

No comments:

Post a Comment