Sunday, April 1, 2012

Japanese performances Vs Indonesian Performances

From what I have seen so far from the Japanese performances, they are willing to be much more loose with their performances.  I say this because I don't think I can recall an Indonesian performance having some sort of humor to it, where as a lot of the performances we've watched for the Japanese performance does.  How ever, the Japanese performance seems like it is much more slow-paced and not a lot of movement is involved (particularly with the feet) making it seem a little bit more boring than an Indonesian performance.  If I had to choose which show to watch, I would probably choose an Indonesian performance, more specifically the one where there are sudden mask changes, because it seems much more interesting to watch.  I know that some Japanese performances deals with mask changing as a part of their performance, but i don't find it as fascinating ( probably because the masks are too small.)  Something about the tiny feet movement bothers me as well, maybe i'm just a fan of BIG movements because i know for a fact they will keep me engaged.  The only Japanese performance i have seen so far that looks appealing to me are the ones dealing with the puppets.  I find it odd/interesting that they have to spend so many years practicing the different movements of the limbs - it all seems so easy to me but I guess they strive for a whole lot of perfection.  Never in my life would i have thought that it could take more than one person to work a puppet - but hey, you learn something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment