Sunday, April 1, 2012

Culture


As I was writing my last sentence in my last post I remembered sitting in my 7th grade World History class and thinking “Why do we need to learn about stuff that happened in other countries?”  But now that I am older, I have come to realize learning about other countries and their cultures is quite important.  If we didn't  learn about other cultures we would only know about the average American life and nothing else. We should explore different countries' cultures so that we can learn how they live and what things they are adapted to doing. It's pretty interesting if you really care about learning how life works on other sides of the world. Also, accepting other people's culture is the first big step to world peace. But we need to be really open-minded enough to accept other cultures. Its not easy to say "I do accept your culture," it takes a whole lot of understanding aside from the food, there is also the customs - the way of living, habits and all that. Sometimes we consider the customs and traditions of other people offensive and abusive, that's why this really needs a lot of work and understanding.
       After coming to college, I have become close friends with people of various religions, backgrounds, and races.  This is something completely new to me because my friends from back home were primarily of the same race and religion.  I have tried different types of food from different countries – some which I hated and some I liked, I have watched different popular television shows from their country (of course I am not able to understand it), and I have seen different clothing patterns and designs.  This was all an excellent experience for me because I got to get a tiny taste of something new from different cultures/countries and I wouldn’t change this experience for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment