Friday, February 17, 2012

My Mahabharata

Having taken the Folklore performance last semester, I was very familiar with the Ramayana. However, we really did not go into the other big epic, the Mahabharata. It was wonderful for me to see this movie because it gives another element to how I perceive the lessons and teachings that we can take away from these epics. When dancing the values that we learn are more on a level of broad spectrum of discovery and they are much more specific. You focus on one point or character and you fine tune it to try and express it to those around you.
I think the Mahabharata provides the audience with a sense of moral value and lessons that if are read to not come across as well as if they were performed. I drew from this experience important lessons about gambling, respect for your spouse, and the need to listen to those with more wisdom than you in order to succeed in life. I loved all of the teaching in the movie even if they weren’t preformed in the traditional sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment