Sunday, March 18, 2012

Midterm Creative Essay Question


I thought I would do a blog on one of the questions from the midterm study guide that was not included on the midterm exam.  I wanted to write about this question because I thought it would be a good way to reflect on the class so far.  The question was, having studied 7 weeks of Asian Theatres, how do you imagine yourself participating in any of the genres or forms we have explored?

If I could participate in any aspects of performance that we have learned about in class so far, I would have to say that I would love to make masks for performers.  I would also really like to be one of the make-up artists for Chinese Opera style performances.  While I do like to learn new styles of dance in class I cannot really see myself performing them for crowds.  However, I could see myself being a mask-maker/ make-up artist.  When watching clips and seeing pictures of masks in class, I find myself very interested in this art form.  It was very exciting to see actual masks when Dr. Palmer brought them in.  My ideal involvement would be either carving the masks, painting the masks, or even better would be being able to do both. 

I also think being a make-up artist for Chinese Opera performances would be my ideal way to participate in Asian Theatres.  The make-up these performers use is so dramatic and colorful.  The designs are very intricate for all of the types of characters they represent.  If I had to pick one of these character types that I would do make-up for I would want it to be the Jing character.  After watching the movie, Farewell My Concubine, in class and seeing the make-up done for the Jing, I know it would be really cool to be able to do that for someone.  The Jing wears so much make-up, using it for a mask, that it would be interesting to learn how to apply all of it to get the desired look.     

No comments:

Post a Comment