Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why Theatre Matters to Me

     To start off my first blog post, I'll relate a little bit about my experiences with theatre.  I was involved in it throughout high school and was a part of 6 performances.  The most memorable play for me was an adaptation of Homer's epic, The Odyssey, in which I played the role of Telemachos, Odysseus' son.  Being a part of that play meant a lot to me; it was one of my first (and most enjoyable) experiences on stage.  In addition, telling the story of Odysseus that had been first passed on by oral tradition over 2,500 years ago seemed to me to be a perfect example of what I loved about theatre to begin with- the relating of experiences that all humans can relate to.
     In Monday's class we talked about the epic tale of Ramayana, as well as its significance to the culture surrounding Asian theatre.  Throughout Guru's telling of the ancient story I couldn't help but think off the huge number of similarities between Ramayana and The Odyssey.  And as a result, I think I've come to the revelation that the main difference between the Asian theatres we've studied so far and the Western style that I'm accustomed to is how they go about presenting their stories.  Although the plots of the classics of each are very different and the main themes just as diverse, what the different styles of theatres all share is that in their very essence, they are all tales of humanity.  Simply because I cannot understand the language spoken or the majority of the mudras used to relate a tale does not mean I cannot take away some value or lesson taught by the story itself.
     I think that theatre is a universal outlet for expression, and no matter how you go about presenting your tale, it is still going to take on some meaning in all cultures.  Regardless of whether it's a Shakespearian production or Bali Trance, your show will still share a beautiful element of the tale of humanity itself that can be taken away by anyone.  I realize that that's a very broad and slightly abstract statement, but I think it's the uniting element of all theatre.  It's not meant to take away anything from the beauty that is the diversity of different types of theatrical expression; instead I think it is what makes them all the more awesome- that in their simplest, purest form, they all share different perspectives on the story of humanity. And that is why I am captivated by theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment