Tuesday, January 24, 2012

oral tradition & hegemony


       Primary orality has declined over the past centuries and as a result individuals have gotten less intelligent due to their strong dependence on technology. Although secondary orality implies a higher level of education because individuals know how to read and write, it doesn't necesarily reflect the capability of humans. Instead, it reflects the capability of phones, radio, television, and the internet. Now a days, people are using their phones not only as a memory aid, but also as a source of information.
       When primary orality was still intact, memory existed in one's own mind, and information had to be searched for, not simply googled. Secondary orality has not only made people lazy, but it has also diminished the respect people have for elders in that no one turns to them for information any more because the internet can tell one more. This lack of respect for elders is seen everyday in the relationship kids have with their parents. I myself do not have the same level of respect for my parents that they had for their parents. In fact, I sometimes see my self as superior to them because I am fluent in English while they are not. For some reason I see my fluency as knowledge, when in reality knowledge is wisdom that is attained through age.
       Although my mom has secondary orality, her memory reflects that of a person with primary orality. She is able to recall precise memories from trips, birthdays, school-meetings, and even her childhood. When I was younger I always use to wonder how she did that, but now I realize that she has rehearsed these memories so many times to friends and relatives, that they have become engraved in her mind. The first thing my mom does after my family goes on a vacation is call my grandmother and tell her the events we did day-by-day. She passes on these series of events orally and as a result enhanced her memory.
       The same way I am not aware of the dominance secondary orality has over my life, I am also not aware of the dominance my hispanic culture has in my hegemony. I oftentimes think, judge, and evaluate situations  the same way my Hispanic mom would, yet I do not realize that I am doing this. My hispanic culture is reflective in my thoughts as well as my behavior. My gestures with friends are more intimate, my body posture at the dinner table is more proper, and my expression when I talk are more exaggerated. The hegemony in respect to my boyfriend is also predominated by my Hispanic culture. I often expect him to be the first to call, the first to pay, and the first to open a door. I never realize I am doing this until he points it out! Although I do not realize that the perspective I am part of is hispanic, I know that a big part of my identity is being Colombian.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your thoughtful reflection and diligent analysis. The class will certainly benefit from this level of dedication to our blog.

    ReplyDelete